Discovering a crack in your wall can be a concerning sight, but it’s important to understand that not all cracks indicate a serious problem. Some small, hairline cracks can be a result of the natural settling of a house over time or changes in humidity levels. However, knowing when to call a professional can save you from potential structural damage, costly repairs, or even safety hazards.

As a rule of thumb, if the crack is wider than 1/4 inch, growing, or accompanied by other signs of structural damage such as doors that won’t close, floors that are uneven, or gaps around windows and doors, it’s time to call in a professional. These symptoms could indicate a more serious underlying issue, such as foundation movement or deterioration, that requires immediate attention. Professionals can assess the situation accurately and provide you with the best course of action, whether it’s a simple repair or something more complex.

Additionally, if you notice cracks that are horizontal or have a stair-step pattern (especially in brick or concrete walls), don’t wait to get expert advice. These types of cracks can be indicative of significant structural failure. In cases where the cause of the crack is not immediately obvious or if you live in an area prone to earthquakes or extreme weather conditions, consulting with a structural engineer or a specialized contractor can offer peace of mind and ensure your home remains safe and stable for years to come.

error: Content is protected !!


Are you buying a home in the DFW Metroplex? Then there is some important information you should know - from the perspective of a home inspector.

Enter your email below to receive this information. We do not sell or distribute your email - privacy is important to us.

You have Successfully Subscribed!